According to the American Psychological Association (APA) they define anxiety as an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure.
Anxiety disorders affect 40 million people in the United States. It is the most common group of mental illnesses in the country. However, only 36.9 percent of people with an anxiety disorder receive treatment. Unfortunately, conventional treatments using medications like Benzodiazepines, Antidepressants and Tricyclics have been shown to be, at best, 40% effective and come with serious side effects.
In this article I will cover 6 Natural Remedies that you can try to help reduce the symptoms of your anxiety.
- CLEARING – This is a process in which you think about the situation that brings you tension and anxiety and instead of trying to push it back into your mind which will cause it to constantly resurface, you stay focused on the thought until your body begins to relax and you become comfortable with the negative or stressful thought. This process may take as long as a few minutes to 25 minutes or longer, however is a great way to release it from your mind.
- ESSENTIAL OILS – Oils like Lavender and Vetiver both have soothing and uplifting properties to relax the mind and body. Studies show that the use of these oils help to alleviate anxiety, sleep disturbance and depression. These same studies also showed that these oils also did not lead to adverse effects, drug interactions or withdrawal symptoms.
- CHIROPRACTIC CARE – While most people associate chiropractic care with neck and back pain, chiropractic care actually works on easing stress off of your nervous system and improving the function of your vital organs and organ systems. Case studies show the effectiveness of adding chiropractic care as a way to reduce your symptoms of anxiety and panic disorders.
- HEALTHY DIET – Many “foods” consumed today are loaded with added sugars and chemical additives. These processed foods can lead to mood swings, altered energy, sugar swings and hormone dysregulation all of which can make it difficult to gain control of anxiety symptoms. Foods such as cookies, pastries, soda, fast foods, fried foods, processed meat, and refined grains may best be avoided when it comes to easing anxiety.
- MEDITATION – Many studies show the effectiveness that meditation has on mental clarity and relaxation. This is a technique that can easily be done in the comfort of your own home. If you are new to mediation you can start with guided meditation found on YouTube channels like this one.
- SUPPLEMENTS – Vitamins like B-complex vitamins, magnesium and 5-HTP all have important roles on nervous system health. Deficiencies of vitamin B-6 can actually cause anxiety. Magnesium is important at calming the nervous system and is vital for GABA function. 5-HTP, synthesized from tryptophan, increases serotonin which is a calming neurotransmitter. 5-HTP should not be taken with any prescription antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications.
At Stanly Wellness Center, we are eager and ready to help you and your families achieve your best health possible. If you are looking for help with your health or you know of someone who is suffering with poor health, call the office of Stanly Wellness Center at 980-355-7600 and schedule a FREE 15-minute consultation with Dr. Patrick Ess to see how he can help. Dr. Ess will not waste your time or money. He will let you know if he can help you, and if he can’t, who in the community can.
Our office specializes in nutrition, detoxification and neurological correction. You can also refer to our website at www.AskDrPatrick.com for more information. We accept most major health insurances including BCBS, Aetna, Humana, UHC, Medicaid and Medicare.
Stanly Wellness Center is located right on Main St (24/27) in Locust and is situated across the street from the big blue Locust Monument building.