This week’s article I will uncover my top recommendations to maintain a healthy immune system and build a flu resistant body:
- Chiropractic Care – There are 100’s of studies that demonstrate that patients’ under chiropractic care have a stronger immune system than patients under conventional medical treatment. Results of these studies suggest that chiropractic or manipulative treatment may influence T and B lymphocyte numbers, NK cell numbers, antibody levels, phagocytic activity and plasma beta-endorphin levels. I recommend that patient receive at least 2 chiropractic treatments per month as maintenance to maintain a strong immune system.
- Vitamin D Supplementation – As I eluded to earlier, during the months of October through March a person’s exposure to UVB radiation, which is necessary for the human body to utilize sunlight in the production of vitamin D precursors, is significantly limited. This results in lower levels of circulating vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 has been connected to the expression of more than 2000 body functions including the immune system. I recommend that a person consume 5,000 - 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 for adults and 2,500 – 5,000 IU for children daily.
- Fasting – The implementation of fasting has been around since the dawn of civilization. Fasting simply means going without food. Japanese scientist Yoshinori Ohsumi was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery that fasting initiates a process called autophagy. Autophagy is the process in which your body recycles foreign, dead, or dying tissues. A simple 24 hour fast (ie. Dinner on Wednesday thru dinner on Thursday) has the ability to initiate autophagy and boost your immune system. The longer your fasts, the stronger your immune system.
- Probiotics/Prebiotics – As a result of the Human Microbiome Project, scientists have discovered that the bacteria in your gut are responsible for up to 80% of your immune function. This means that a person with digestive issues or an imbalance in “bad” vs “good” bacteria are more susceptible to viral and bacterial invaders. I recommend eating foods high in fibers and fermented foods daily to maintain a healthy, diverse microbiome.
- Herbs – Herbal remedies have been used for thousands of years to combat numerous health complaints including cold and flu symptoms. Echinacea and Elderberry are both powerful herbs that have been shown clinically to fight the flu virus and reduce any flu related symptoms.
- Essential Oils – These powerful oils have numerous health benefits from colds and flu symptoms to cancer protection. I recommend the product VIVI using 3 capsules daily provide protection to your body from viral attacks. Other oils like Oregeno, Tee Tree and Lemongrass are also great at anti-viral protection.
At Stanly Wellness Center, we are eager and ready to help you and your families achieve your best health possible. If you are looking for help with your health or you know of someone who is suffering with poor health, call the office of Stanly Wellness Center at 980-355-7600 and schedule a FREE 15-minute consultation with Dr. Patrick Ess to see how he can help. Dr. Ess will not waste your time or money. He will let you know if he can help you, and if he can’t, who in the community can.
Our office specializes in nutrition, detoxification and neurological correction. You can also refer to our website at www.AskDrPatrick.com for more information. We accept most major health insurances including BCBS, Aetna, Humana, UHC, Medicaid and Medicare.
Stanly Wellness Center is located right on Main St (24/27) in Locust and is situated across the street from the big blue Locust Monument building.