Reactive healthcare involves reacting to an adverse disease, injury, condition or symptom. For example, if you wake up one morning feeling lightheaded and dizzy, you may react by visiting the doctor. Depending on the doctor’s diagnosis, he or she may prescribe you with a medication to help your body with the symptoms. Both you and the doctor are reacting to the symptoms.
Proactive healthcare differs from reactive in the sense that action is taken before symptoms manifest. Rather than waiting until you feel the symptoms of a cold for instance, you can take a proactive approach towards your health by boosting your immune system with vitamin C, antioxidants, and by staying hydrated.
It is estimated that the US spends approximately 3 trillion dollars per year on healthcare expenditures. The costs for surgeries, prescription medications, and other forms of treatment continue to rise which place huge financial burdens on American families. In fact, many people file bankruptcy due to their inability to pay for their healthcare needs. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to reduce your burden of illness and save you money.
Some of my recommendations for being proactive would be to:
- Maintain a healthy weight by limiting sugars, dairy, and grain products as well as processed food and sugary drinks.
- Keep regular appointments with your chiropractor to maintain a healthy nervous system and decrease your chances of developing degenerative osteoarthritis.
- Don’t smoke.
- Maintain a schedule of physical activity.
- Get adequate sleep, at least 7-8 hours per night.
- Get yearly checkups with your doctor and dentist.
- Get a yearly blood chemistry and lab panels. You don’t know what you don’t know if you don’t get tested.
At Stanly Wellness Center we specialize in a proactive approach to healthcare. We look forward to helping you and your family with your healthcare needs.