By repeatedly asking the question “Why”, you begin to peel away at the layers of symptoms or excuses which can lead to the root cause of a problem. I often use this strategy when trying to uncover the root cause to a person’s health complaint, however you can literally use this technique to uncover the root cause to any situation. Whether it comes to finances, your health, relationships, eating habits, exercise habits, hobbies, or whatever you want more clarity on understanding. Listed below is an example of how this works.
For many years, I stopped attending church services and functions. It wasn’t until recently (4-5 years ago) that I began to regularly attend church services, in large part because I found an amazing church, pastor, and leadership staff at New Life Church here in Locust, NC. But “Why” did I stop going? Below is the answer:
- Why do you no longer attend church? – Because church is boring.
- Why is church boring? – Because every service is the same boring routine, I sit, I stand, I kneel, I shake hands, I listen to a pastor read from a bible using names, and places, and situations that I don’t understand and can’t pronounce, and then I sing the same songs over and over and over again.
- Why do you get bored with ritualistic methodology? – Because I crave change and challenges. I like understanding and questioning. I seek out answers to my problems and questions and sitting through a 1 hour church service is not helping me to solve my problems.
- Why do you believe that the church is not helping to solve your problems? – Because the church has never asked me my problems, nor have I been offered an opportunity to express my challenges or have my questions answered.
- Why do you think that the church has not approached you specifically about your problems or challenges? – Because I never asked them to and am too embarrassed to ask for fear that I will be judged and humiliated like some of the people in the stories in the bible.
- Why do you think the church will judge you or humiliate you? – Because I have learned in church that when you make mistakes you will be judged, you will have to repent and you will be told that if you don’t you will go straight to Hell.
- Why do you feel that the church is out to judge you and send you to Hell? – I don’t really feel that the church wants to send me to Hell, I am simply ashamed that I continue to make mistakes and fall short of Gods glory or expectations of me.
So what have we learned from this exercise? Why was I no longer wanting to attend church? Not because church is boring, but because going to church forces me to evaluate my actions and makes me accountable for my actions.
So if you are struggling with weight loss, or living paycheck to paycheck, or in a failing relationship, or looking for a career change, or move, or whatever the situation. Try applying the 7 “Whys” to your particular situation and see what the root cause to your situation reveals to you.
At Stanly Wellness Center, we are eager and ready to help you and your families achieve the best health possible. If you are looking for help with your health or you know of someone who is suffering with poor health, call the office of Stanly Wellness Center at 980-355-7600 and schedule a FREE 15-minute consultation with Dr. Patrick Ess to see how he can help. Dr. Ess will not waste your time or money. He will let you know if he can help you, and if he can’t, who in the community can.
Our office specializes in nutrition, detoxification and neurological correction. You can also refer to our website at www.AskDrPatrick.com for more information. We accept most major health insurances including BCBS, Aetna, Humana, UHC, Medicaid and Medicare.
Stanly Wellness Center is located right on Main St (24/27) in Locust and is situated next door to the Locust Post Office and the Dollar General across the street from the Wells Fargo Bank.