Digital Dementia is a modern day health epidemic resulting in a sensory mismatch in the brain from over utilization of technology and excessive slouched sitting posture. Adolescents with Digital Dementia demonstrate a decline in cognition and short term memory loss, symptoms associated with dementia. Your children may be at risk for developing Digital Dementia if they spend hours per day seated in front of technological devises with poor posture (slouched or slumped posture) and little movement.
Signs and symptoms of Digital Dementia include:
- Slouched Posture (Forward head posture, rounded shoulders, C-shaped spinal curvature)
- Developmental delays
- Short term memory loss or forgetfulness
- Inability to remember number patterns or directions
- Social seclusion
- Lack of motivation
- Anger for no apparent reason
- Balance disorders
- Uncoordinated movement patterns
How does Digital Dementia develop?
- When children spend an excessive amount of time on their devices with poor posture a sensory disassociation occurs where the back of the brain is over active, but the frontal aspect of the brain is under active.
How does this effect your child’s brain development?
- The occipital lobe in the back of the brain processes visual signals such as visual cues from video games, social media, or TV programs. While seated and engaged with technology, the front part of the brain including the frontal and parietal lobes are under-stimulated. These regions of the brain are responsible for higher order thinking and good behaviors such as motivation, goal setting, reading, writing, memory, and socially appropriate behaviors. These areas of the brain are also responsible for movement and body position sense.
Tips to overcoming Digital Dementia:
- Take posture breaks each hour
- Limit technology use to a maximum of 2 hours per day
- Sit on an exercise ball or Posture Cushion during the day
- Get outside and play
Posture is declining at the speed of technology and modern day children are suffering from ill health effects and a decline in cognition. Your brain is changing due to technology. Learn how to overcome Digital Dementia with Posture Tech Tips. How you engage with technology can change your life.
If you feel that your child is suffering from Digital Dementia, or you would like to know more about Digital Dementia, feel free to contact Stanly Wellness Center at 980-355-7600. We can schedule a FREE consultation for you and your child to determine if they are suffering from Digital Dementia. You may also request our FREE Digital Dementia questionnaire to see if you or your child may be exhibiting symptoms of Digital Dementia.